Monday, February 8, 2010

Support: A Manifesto

After a post some time ago on Isaac Butler's blog, I've been thinking a lot about "support" and how that word is used in NYC Theatre circles- we're always saying "Come support our show" or "thanks for your support". I don't want people to come to my shows just to support me- I want them to come in the expectation of a good show. I'm doing fantastic work, and people should want to come see it. And many people do.

And I understand when people can't. I really, honestly do. Most of my friends are doing the same thing I'm doing- creating theatre. Most of it happens at the same times, which makes scheduling difficult. Most of us have 9-5 jobs on top of doing theatre in the evenings, and we get busy.
Most of my friends who are doing theatre are as broke as I am, all of our money going to our true vocation: theatre.
So I know that people are sometimes busy or choose to spend their money on food instead of theatre. The same thing happens to me.

People say, "I'm sorry I missed your show", and I agree with them. I'm sorry they missed it too, because it was awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment