Sunday, March 18, 2012

Dangerous Liaisons

The latest in the "How did they adapt THAT?!" files: "Les Liaisons Dangereuses". I of course LOVE the 1988 "Dangerous Liaisons" movie, which I saw in theaters. I'm only now (finally!) reading the book- it's entirely epistolary, the Marquise and Valmont hardly ever even meet in person, it seems. Hampton did an AMAZING job adapting it to the stage (and that script is what the movie "Dangerous Liaisons" is based on), I have no idea how I would have gone about it. Very odd that it's been adapted so many times (Opera, Films, Musicals, stage (I've even seen an onstage all-male adaptation)) "Cruel Intentions" is so obviously based on the movie and not the novel. Also explains why Jean-Claude Carrière's script for "Valmont", which came out in 1989, is so different from Hampton's. (that movie, btw, is worth a look - Annette Bening is incredible as Merteuil. Colin Firth is a bit too adorable as Valmont. Fairuza Balk(!) as Cecile, and the kid from E.T. as Danceny- they're BABIES.)

No comments:

Post a Comment